Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Stars the Limit?

I will be the first to say that when it comes to science fiction, especially hardcore science fiction, I am not expert. Actually, I avoid it at all costs most of the time. However, I think that after spending half a semester on the different types of science fiction, I may change my mind.

I couldn't read The Stars My Destination because I couldn't find it in stores and reading on the computer hurts my eyes, but I have seen Serenity and I can share what science fiction experience I do have from my own readings.

Serenity is one of those movies my friends used to drag me to their houses to see after exams ended in high school. One of those movies that sat me down in and I had to ask a million questions during and give lots of commentary because though the effects and story seemed nice, I seemed determined to not like it. Fortunately, I came around and I really enjoyed the movie. I always like movies that have a lot of eye candy to offer. I think what got me the most was the set of neutral characters and how they, to me, seemed like a ragtag party that would be put together in a role playing game. Even though it was scifi, I was captured by that. I can't dislike a party of adventurers.

The stories we read in class, however, I found were interesting. Shorter, more concise stories in a genre I am not familiar or comfortable in tend to work better than longer works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment